Saturday, August 16, 2014

40 years ago today.

40 years ago today I ate dinner with my parents at their home.
It was a hot day, and after supper I walked down the street, turned right onto Macadam Road and looked at Dianne's house, then the house beside her, the Thornes, the Smiths, and then down to the Muellers. As I walked I realized it was probably going to be the last time I walked this street.
These were the streets that taught me how to love, how to cherish friendships, how to forgive. I was hurt on these streets. I had scraped knees, hurt feelings, shameful moments, angry moments with friends. Embarrassing moments with my parents.
I also laughed so hard that I didn't think I could stop. I read comic books, collected tadpoles and frogs. Built tree-forts. Rode bikes. Defended my sisters from the bad guys. Took ride in cars with boys.
Some of the friends that I made on those streets I'm still friends with today. I can drive to their house, and I know it would be like yesterday.
There's a lot of blessings that I can write about.
Forty years is a long time to love.

Happy Anniversary, honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment