Sunday, August 17, 2014

Our Lady and Feast of the Assumption

I was born on the feast of Our Lady of Carmel.
40 years ago I was married at the Immaculate Conception 24 hours after the Feast of the Assumption.
My patroness of the Five Smooth Stones is Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Her mother, Saint Anne is my patron saint.

It never really occurred to me, until today, what a connection I have to Our Lady.

Just interesting.

Today I went to Mass at the church where I was married 40 years ago. I thought I went alone.
My husband was busy watching tv and didn't really want to go anyway.

So, as I sat down in the pew, I was a little sad. Jesus spoke to me. I inwardly felt his love and concern for me, and felt a blanket of love. I was definitely not alone, and realized the greatest love of my love did come to Mass with me.

My family was there as well. I was not alone in the seat. My Blessed Mother was there, with all her love and kindly gaze on me. My brothers were on the altar. All of them, The apostles St. Matthew, St. John, St. Peter....

I was not alone. As I looked to my left, I saw the statue of Saint Anne, and was so glad to know that no matter how alone I appear to be in this journey some time, I am most certainly not. And yes, I know that that was just a piece of nicely carved wood to my left, but in reality, all the angels and saints do join us at Mass.

And at the Holy Holy Holy, they were most certainly there. I asked for their blessing on my marriage, and my vocation.

An inward consolation, Jesus told me my primary vocation is to love Him with my whole heart, and then to share that love, even with my silence when necessary. And that he loves me. He really loves me.

Silence when necessary. It's interesting. Popularly said, Preach the gospel, and when necessary use words. It feels like today, it's my silence that preaches. And not a stony, angry silence. Just a silence that communes more with the unseen than the seen today.

In communion with all the angels and saints on this wonderful day, I ran to Saint Anne and asked her to pray especially for the women at Sancta Maria house and a "little butterfly" who is struggling with addiction, depression and despair. My lovely Saint Anne is one of my best friends in heaven.

After Mass, as well, I realized the last time I attended Mass with my earthly father, was 40 years ago today. I pray with all my heart that he was there today, praying for all of our family together in hope that one day we will by choice, sit at a pew together ... the seen and the unseen, in communion with all the brothers and sisters, and our Mother in Heaven.

Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment