Tuesday, August 12, 2014

From last Sunday's second reading...

Romans 9:1-5

This is the truth and I am speaking in Christ, without pretence, as my conscience testifies for me in the Holy Spirit;
2 there is great sorrow and unremitting agony in my heart:
3 I could pray that I myself might be accursed and cut off from Christ, if this could benefit the brothers who are my own flesh and blood.
4 They are Israelites; it was they who were adopted as children, the glory was theirs and the covenants; to them were given the Law and the worship of God and the promises.
5 To them belong the fathers and out of them, so far as physical descent is concerned, came Christ who is above all, God, blessed for ever. Amen.


Paul speaks to me about his sadness, that his brothers and sisters, his own flesh and blood do not know the wonderful relationship that they can have with Christ. They were adopted as children, the glory was theirs. They were given these gifts from childhood, and yet reject them.

He goes to the extent of praying that he become cut off from Christ, if that could benefit his brothers.

This is a huge statement, because his relationship with Christ is all. So much so that he was willing to go to death, death by sword rather than deny him.

Paul's sadness actually brings me in closer communion with him, as I begin to understand that the journey of five smooth stones is not always going to appear to be fruitful. Perseverence will be the key.

Although I have not been journal-ling here,  I have been journey-ing, praying for you, my brothers and sisters that you may come to know Him and Love Him who is searching for you every day. I prayed for you yesterday and the day before, entreating our Lady of Guadalupe to join me. This week I've been especially aware of at least 10 children who did not make it to earth, but are in heaven, interceding for you. A child of my mother's womb, who was miscarried between my sister Di and I, and a brother of Gary's, who was born near my birthday, and 8 others who pray with me at each Mass.

Since I last wrote, little fruits have happened. I am aware, deeply aware, however, that one day, my prayers will be more united with the ten who did not see the light of day. I will be joining them, hand in hand, as we pray for you. Life is just a short blink of an eye. Eternity is ... well... eternity. There are so many waiting for you, and praying for you, with hope in their hearts.

Today I ask St. Paul to pray for me, that I may run the race, that I do not weary, and that with the help of the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, you may one day join me, while I still breathe, to pray for our brothers and sisters.


No comments:

Post a Comment